September 4, 2008

Neuromuscular Pavelization

The theme of tonight's workout was Neuromuscular Inhibition... and Neuromuscular Pavelization. *wink*
(or, Yep, I'm Kind of a Dork. ...So?)

I remember a post on Rif's blog quite a while back about what I BELIEVE he called Neuromuscular Inhibition - the phenomenon where if you don't fully believe you will be able to do what you then try to do, chances are you won't succeed with it. (Sir, please correct me where needed.)
Well, I recognized a bit of "NI" going on tonight.

Discovering that the gymboss was out of batteries (oh yeahhhh), I decided to do the 24kg snatch/right press alternating workout that I did the other night.
Started with an MP, then went to a set of snatches.

Around the 5th or 6th set, the presses were weak. I felt weak, mentally, physically...and I knew it was all in my head. Even in the middle of a press, I would think, it's this damn "NI" that's making this so hard, I know it! Where is my confidence? Why am I so uncertain I can get this press each time?

Then, Pavel walked by.

No, not really...
Starting at the 7th set, I basically imagined that Pavel had just happened by (which is actually not totally impossible ;), and said something like, "Show me your 24-kilo military press, Nikki."

It's kind of embarrassing what a huge difference this made. The presses were so smooth and easy, I then decided to keep doing snatch sets for as long as I was able to do the MP. I hit 10, 11, 12.... laughing inside every time the press went up. "Guess I'm doing another snatch set..." (The last time I did this workout, I was only able to do 7 sets of the single presses.)

The 15th set tonight, snatch form fell far from perfect, so that was it for snatches. I continued with the press to see how many I could get - yes, using Neuromuscular Pavelization each time. ;)
First attempt on the 20th set didn't make it. Re-cleaned, got the press, called it a night.

20 is a loooong way from 7. Crazy. Something about performing under pressure, I guess - and if you can fake the pressure, why not? Feel ridiculous? Get over it! Training and progress are more important. I did a lot of heavy presses tonight.

Work Summary:
150 snatches with 24kg, sets of 5L/5R
20 R military presses with 24kg, sets of 1
Couple L push presses with 24kg (still waiting till Sunday to test)
Couple 18lb pullups

18 comments:

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Ok ... I think this calls for a giant Pavel doll and we can put his voice inside ... with recordings that say "Show me the 32 kg press Nikki" and "A Bulldog TGU, please." Or maybe one of those cardboard life size cut outs. Or the sticker thing that goes on your wall like the football players! Think of all you will accomplish!

You get a horseshoe heart from Adam!

You take on the men and tame the Beast!

I can see it now!

Unknown said...

Nik, I'm right there with you. Thinking of Chief Instructor glaring at me if I'm falling short is enough to get the wickedest Hard Style out of me.

fawn said...

Holy crap Nikki!
Nice job on the presses!
I am so jealous!

Taikei Matsushita said...

Pavel appears in my nightmare.
"Comrades! on your stomach!!" and all those burpees and swings...

For a moment, I thought I was reading men's training log. 150 24kg snatches???

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thanks so much for your comments, KF, Sifu, Fawn, Taikei. :D

Faizal S. Enu said...

Neuromuscular inhibition is different from motivation (or lack there of)

Neuromusular inhibition is typically a term used in two contexts:
* The tendency of the muscular system to fail at something that it has failed at before. This is typically due to inhibitory proprioceptors (like the Golgi Tendon organ) that are a self defense mechanism to not allow that body to do thing that might hurt itself. This is why both Pavel and West Side Barbell say DO NOT rep out or otherwise miss lifts in training.

It is also used in the context of pain management or jitteryness (i.e., inhibiting part of the nervous system to keep from firing through drugs)

But motivation is very important -- I know I could never motivate myself to do as many swings in one weekend as I did during RKC weekend.

Gotta go -- I am trying to motivate myself to make my RKC snatch test number with the 32kg bell.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Faizal, it was much more a lack of confidence than a lack of motivation. I was not sure I could do it, I approached the bell with a question mark. "Will it go up?" Then when under "pressure," for some reason, I "knew" I could do it. Like do or die, or something. Hard to explain, I suppose. :)
Thanks very much for the info,
and good luck with the 32kg snatch test!

Franz Snideman said...

50 snatches with 24kg, sets of 5L/5R

WOW! Are you snatching the 24kg? Frickin awesome!

I am impressed..to say the least!!!!!

Keep it up!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thanks, Franz!
I really should be working VO2 max more often... but the 24 seems to always beg for a beating. ;)

Jennifer said...

I am always amazed by the box our minds trap us in. What a beautiful example. Fantastic work, Nikki!

Doug Nepodal Sr. RKC said...

That really happened to me, 2003 Arnold Classic, 40kg MP Challenge. I didn't even own a 40kg but I thought I would give it a try. As I cleaned the bell I felt this force standing near me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Pavel standing right next to me. HOLY @#$! I better press it, busted out three reps. Then Pavel told me that I was strong. I was on cloud nine for the rest to the day. The mind and Pavel are a strong influence indeed.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Isn't it something, Jen? Thank you so much. :)

Nikki Shlosser said...

OMG Doug!!
THAT is one hell of a good story.

Jordan Vezina said...

This is absolutely true, and I see it with my clients all the time. I've developed a habit of not telling them how many reps they have to do of a particular exercise, I just inform them that I will tell them when they can stop. Sometimes I'll also recite random numbers to screw up their internal counting, and magically they eclipse their old numbers.
Great job snatching the 24 kg. That is un-sane.

Nikki Shlosser said...

I like that, Jordan. :)
Thanks for stopping by, and nice BUP photo, btw.

Mark Reifkind said...

nikki,

I don't remember using that exact term but that is what is happening. If you approach a heavy( or intense) load with negative thoughts, images, etc. you might as well go home.everything happens in the mind first and visualizing an activity or movement creates the same type of muscular activation as actually doing it, just with much lower force values.
that's why visualization practice is so key and such an easy way to improve-no injuries,lol!
especially true with absolute strength feats and limit weights where one needs TOTAL activation of the entire musculature NOW.A very Deep Skill though.

rif

Mark Reifkind said...

and oh yeah HELL of a job on the presses :)))you so strong girl!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thanks so much, Sir! =D