October 12, 2008

College Football and Kettlebells


Saturday:
At home watching the Florida Gators beat up LSU. My idea was to do a set (with the 20kg) for every Gator first down, Gator touchdown or field goal, or penalty in the Gators' favor. For the first half, a set was 20 swings, the second half's set was: C&P left, swing-switch, C&P right, swing-switch, repeat again (L&R), followed by 10 goblet squats.

First half, the 20 swings... hello forearms! I don't know how many sets there were, but it was more than enough - grip was worked big-time.

Second half... before long, I had to start doing push-presses on the left, and the game ended with me still owing 5 more sets. I didn't make them up, I was plain DONE. This was a killer workout! I sort of liked it, but really wish I had used a 16kg instead of a 20kg.

Sunday:
KBLA. Borrowed a 32kg afterward for some heavy cleans, 10R, 10L.... really like these with a super-heavy bell. It feels strong! I want a 32kg!

7 comments:

MKSchinabeck said...

Great idea!! I have worked in my kettlebell workouts around tending the grill, mowing the lawn, playing catch with the kids, but I never thought of doing it while watching football. I will have to give it a try.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thank you, Matt! I can picture: overthrowing to the kids so you can fit in a set while they run after the ball? ;) I'm glad you stopped by & commented - thank you - you have a great blog, I'll be linking to it.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Nice idea.
Although I'd play on the defensive side of the ball. A sack, 50 snatches, force fumble 60 snatches, quarterback's helmet knocked off 70, runningback on a stretcher 100 snatches.

I loved playing linebacker.

The Endos & Morenos said...

Hey Nikki,

You looked really strong and crisp on the 32 kg cleans!

Congrats!

Nikki Shlosser said...

LOL, Taikei!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thanks, Rich! It felt awesome - I'm anxious to try snatching that sucker again - probably from a clean drop.

MKSchinabeck said...

Nikki,
Thanks for linking to my blog. I have also enjoyed reading about your struggles and PRs. I will also link to your site.
Matt