October 15, 2008

Lucky Girl!!

Yes, that's me. :)
SOMEHOW, I was lucky enough to score a 1-on-1 coaching session with Pavel Tsatsouline yesterday. I was thrilled at the prospect of having just a few minutes of his time, to get a proper deadlifting form established. To my great surprise and delight, Pavel extended that few minutes to just over an hour - and as many of you know, just a few minutes with Pavel results in a REAL good quantity of hugely valuable advice and information - let alone an hour! (My notes from yesterday are extensive!) I'm very grateful for Pavel's tremendous generosity - and am determined to put these new methods to such diligent practice that the results will be fast and furious!

This was my first time ever deadlifting a barbell... and I really liked it. There is something simply satisfying about picking up something really heavy - without feeling *strain* anywhere. ...To feel stronger afterward, rather than strained, or injured... I'm amazed to have no soreness today. Then again, it's not like I was lifting 300lbs. I'm not exactly sure what weight I got up to, (telling you, I'm a true novice when it comes to weights!) but it might have been around 160. I may have done around 15 lifts total - and wow, did I learn a lot - breathing & tension techniques, form from head to toe, grip, speed, plyometrics... like I said, the list of particulars is long.

He then wanted to see the weighted pistol and pull-up, and we worked on the pull-up for maybe 15 minutes, which was fantastic. Many more drills to practice there, and now I'm really feeling like I could work up to a 24kg weighted pull-up in time for RKCII. :)

After class later that evening, I managed the 32kg TGU again - this time on my weaker side, so that's a PR. It was not easy!! Really close to losing it, actually, and had I an ounce less determination, would have missed it for sure. Attempt on the right side actually felt REALLY strong, but I screwed something up on the ascent, and lost it. I'll be borrowing a 28kg to work on these.

12 comments:

Jordan Vezina said...

Well, the guy at the taco stand gave me extra sour cream FOR FREE, so who's lucky now?
Seriously though, that's pretty damn cool. I'll be at RKC II in June, so hopefully I'll be on hand for this feat of pull up strength.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Fabulous!
BTW, cucumber in the ultimate meal = good.

John Roberts said...

Oh to be you or your notebook!

I'm dong some PTTP DLs on my variety days and just love them.

I would have really liked to have see you do the left-side on video too. That is powerful stuff.

Stay strong!
:)

Laura Nepodal said...

Lucky girl, indeed! What a fantastic opportunity. =D Congratulations on the new PR, that's extremely impressive! I'm definitely hoping to work up to that, just did a TGU with a 24kg today on my weak side... but you're rad!

Aren't barbell deadlifts delicious? They're definitely my favorite free-weight workout. Lifting heavy shit is amazingly gratifying.

fawn said...

That is great Nikki! I am glad to hear you got your DL lesson!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thank you, Farmer John! (If that ever gets annoying, let me know - I think it's cool though.)

Really, though, the TGU was anything but powerful looking, haha. :B

When I get the next size up, that will be on video!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Laura, that's fantastic! Yes, really gratifying.

And when you do try a 28 or 32 TGU... definitely get it video'd... my first try wasn't, and of course it was by far the best of all subsequent tries :P

You'll get it, I'm sure!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Yay Fawn!
And I really like it, too. :D

John Roberts said...

It's way cool Nikki.

I'll be looking for the video!
:)

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Very cool.It was really an experience to be around Pavel last weekend. It was must have been indescribable to have his undivided attention!

Please read my RKC weekend post if you get the chance. As you know I had some issues getting it down on paper.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your newset obsession-DL-ing. ;) I love it just as much as I love kettlebells...The bar just sits there begging to be picked up, just like the bells. :D and you are a lucky duck to get 1 on 1 advice from the evil one himself! YAY for you...and I'll see you at Level II!

Nikki Shlosser said...

I'm really looking forward to it, Sara! BTW, I ordered the WD book after seeing your blog post. Might be something I should really try.