November 9, 2008

Giving Up?

I do feel like I've given up... at least for the time being. I don't know, at least until I drop 15 pounds or so? Maybe.

A 24kg weighted pull-up has been my goal. I have the 24kg press and pistol... the pull-up has been the last of the "three" to achieve for quite some time now.

Yet, it's been a goal I haven't trained toward with any sort of consistency. Progress has "stalled" at 8-10kg. I'm gaining weight (this week, at least). I'm just not into it as much as I want to be/should be.

Maybe the reason is the motivation - why do I want to achieve a 24kg weighted pull-up? Really just for the beast challenge. Honestly, I don't know what else a 24kg pull-up is good for (for me) other than strong pull-up strength. It doesn't seem there's as much carryover for that as there is for the other strength skills. I'm probably wrong. But, the point is this - my motivation was really not strong enough. It would take a HUGE amount of work to get that pull-up - and I guess that should be reason enough to go for it - it's a challenge, and a healthy one... but.... ???? I can imagine getting it, and then just letting it go after it's "done". Do I sound like I'm reasoning my way out of this? Maybe I am. I do have a tendency (so I've been told) to make excuses. Whatever the case, it does not feel good to give up on a goal. But maybe my thought/energy/whatever would be better spent on more rewarding/more easily achievable goals. MVO2 progress. 20/20 24kg snatches. A 28kg press, a 40kg TGU?

I'm selling my TAPS bar and will still train pull-ups on my deadlift days (the days I'm at Gold's Gym Venice). And, I guess that will be it, for the time being...

Am I being reasonable or ridiculous?

10 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Pullups suck to train. Hit 'em hard, and they'll get better. It's optional.

Excuses get a bad rap. Honestly, who gives a fuck? We skip things because we don't care to do them.

When you care to do it, you'll rock.

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Sometimes when you let it go ... it actually happens. Focus on the other stuff for a while and go back and try it in a few weeks. A 16 kg on each side TGU ... seriously?

Spencer said...

I guess it's all in the longterm, NIk. Though I can't think of any specific moves the tremendous strength gained from pulling up with a 24kg would enhance, I can't imagine that lat strength would hinder you in any area–whatsoever.

In any event, let me know if you are indeed going to sell your TAPS bar. I just may be an interested buyer....

See you Tuesday!

Howie B said...

Nikki, train for the enjoyment you get out of training. Goals are good to have and to work toward, but if you're not enjoying the training you won't get very far. Maybe you need to taper off a bit and put together a new routine that you'll enjoy. And what's up with this weight loss thing?? How does factor into any of this? Sounds like something else is brewing in that head of yours and it's not just the training.

Boris said...

Pull-ups are one of the best exercises IMO. I can't say that weighted pull-ups are a necessity, but I certainly feel a difference in stability (snatches, etc) when am doing pull-ups consistently vs. when I am not.

I agree w. Aaron though.

The Endos & Morenos said...

15 pounds sounds like a lot of weight for you to drop...
At least without some strength loss. Have had your body fat percentage accurately measured?

Pull ups suck for us short limbed folk. And it's not as much fun when the progress is slower than in other areas.

You may just need a break.

Jordan Vezina said...

I just put up the same post last week. I've been training for the beast challenge and while my Presses and Pistols are locked in my pull ups suck. It doesn't help that I've put on 14 pounds since the UCLA RKC. Pulling up the extra weight makes it harder. So I re-aligned my goals and moved my Beast Challenge date to August. No biggie. There's no reason to beat your head against the wall if your skull isn't tougher than the wall.

Faizal S. Enu said...

I think that you might need a different approach to training for the weighted pull-up rathers than just weighted pullups.

Especially for posterior chain exercises like the pullup, the deadlift, and the snatch, sometimes it is only one weak link that breaks the chain and stalls progress. You could try incorporating some pulls that much heavier than the weighted pullup. A similar approach has worked for a couple of clients of mine (of course, they are not at your level).

You may just need a back off week to restore the CNS, as posterior chain movement are very CNS driven.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment on this - sincerely.

Aaron, I appreciate that perpsective. Sometimes I don't know if I'm being too hard or too easy on myself - but, then again, who really cares! I'd rather not spend time worrying about THAT, either. :P

K, what do you mean 16kg each side TGU?

Spence, agreed it certainly wouldn't hurt anything... lats are good. PS, great work as usual last night, love having you in class.

Howie, such a good point! Re: weight loss... not a big deal. I could lose 10lbs... maybe 15... I always weigh more than I think I do - but I'm really not concerned with "weight," so much, anyway - BGP, yes. That could really see some improvement. I'm easing into WD. I'll post about that soon.

Boris - interesting. Well I definitely don't EVER want to lose the ability to do a few BW pull-ups - I'll keep working on them at the gym, but not with the pressure to work up to the 24kg... for now....

Really, I think if I ended up getting quite a bit leaner, I'll be very tempted to try again...

Rich, no I've never measured BFP. Maybe the gym has that? I'll ask. :) Thanks for the idea. You're signed up for Level II, right?

Jordan, that's more helpful, psychologically, than you know. Thanks. :)

Faiz, interesting input re: posterior chain and CNS. Thanks for the ideas.

Boris said...

btw, Nikki,
I used to be pretty good at pull-ups with and without weight and for me, a grease-the-groove type of approach always worked the best; just a lot of reps here and there and without adding weight. Sometimes pushing the numbers, most of the time just cruising.

Anyway, the more I read Aaron's reply, the more I like it.