May 12, 2009

BASELINE

Kettlebell training in Palisades Park, Santa Monica. The "front yard." I took my time last night, the weather was perfect. It's just such a nice place to be. Well, with the exception of a group nearby being led to perform 10lb front raises, I'm sure under the title of "kettlebell swings." Uuuugghhhhhhhh that's so hard to take. Seriously. I wonder what their instructor said regarding my "different" looking swings. And snatches, and getups. (They were watching.)


Attempted a 20kg snatch test.
72 reps in 5:00
So there's the baseline. Only going up from there! My goal is to have the 100 reps by the San Diego RKC in August. I think I'll just keep taking the 5:00 test a couple days a week, on non-MVO2 days.

a few 16kg pistols
a few 16kg BUPs
a few 16kg sots presses
one 28kg snatch (hurt hand)
several 16kg, 20kg, 28kg swings
oh, and a few handstands. I'm still pretty good at those.

28kg TGU 1L/1R for 7 sets
arm bars on the 6th set

A nice, long variety day.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Nikki,
I have some suggestions on how you can make your snatch test #'s for august.It's a sensible approach that,knowing you should be no problem.You can e-mail me or call me,calling is probably bettr for me because i am horrible onthe computer.I enjoy your blog your fellow KBLA'r an RKC Dave O'Donnell

Nikki Shlosser said...

Dave, will you be at class on Sunday?

Taikei Matsushita said...

72 reps in 5:00 is pretty much man's equivalent of 32kg numbers in 5:00. Unlike 24kg, 32kg is a hard barrier to break.

"(They were watching.) "

You can leave a simple brochure or handout, a little distant away from you, meaning near by their place.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nikki!
I will be down in Santa Monica at the end of May (28-30). Just wondering if you hold classes any other time than Thursday. I'll be taking a Yoga Workshop at Sacred Movement on Main near Rose and staying on Rose. Not sure how close you are to this area, but it sure would be fun to take one of your classes!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Tara, VERY close to Main and Rose! Only, my classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the main KBLA class (Dr. Cheng's class) is Sunday mornings. Darn! We can get together anyway, though... That's right in my 'hood. Swing some iron, grab a bite, whatever you're up for. Send me an e-mail. :)