October 5, 2008

Evolving...

I realized something this weekend that I should have realized a long time ago.... I have a horrible tendency to stop working once I hit a goal PR. Four examples: Press, TGU, Pistol, Pull-up. The result - weaker press, weaker TGU, weaker pistols, weaker pull-ups. Not just a lack of progress, but a HUGE regression! Say it with me... "Shaaaaame!!"

An amazing event led to this realization - I was invited to assist Pavel at an all-day NSCA Kettlebell Workshop with six other awesome RKCs of various rank. It was a TREMENDOUS honor. I could go on for another half hour about how incredible this was... but the premise of the blog post is this: Pavel asked me to demonstrate a 24kg TGU for the workshop attendees. And since I had done a 32kg TGU in the past, the 24kg TGU should have been flawless.
Yes, it should have been. And yet... wow. I almost didn't even get up to the elbow. I think both feet actually came off the ground. Say it with me again... "ShaaaAME!" Wow, talk about a blown opportunity. Choke artist! I did complete the drill strongly from that point on, but that initial punch weakness (I'm sure I was nervous and didn't pressurize at all)... it just shouldn't have happened that way, period, and it was bloody embarrassing.

It was a good lesson. And I won't let it happen again. Because I've now identified my problem, and I'm determined to solve it with lasting finality. No more neglecting my "strong" skills... because they won't stay that way. Practice. Focus. Consistency. Consistency! I'm going to make "consistency" my new favorite word. ;)

Even though, at this particular moment, teaching skills are a much greater focus than my own technical skills - they cannot be neglected! They MUST not be neglected!

My 24kg press is now rarely successful. A 16kg weighted pull-up has reverted to BW pull-ups. (Yeah, really.) Pistols, well, they're actually okay I think. I can go from wobbly BW pistols to 24kg pistols in two days' work.

So tonight, here's what I worked on: 20kg half get-ups, 20kg presses, BW pistols, BW pull-ups. I'm getting up early tomorrow (really.) for a VO2 Max session, and in the evening will work those 4 drills again. In fact, this will be the plan for the next week. And if I can get through that, maybe it will become a little easier to get up early for that 6:30am training. And I will be mindful of not over-training.

Ultimate Meal at least once a day. I've been tweaking the ratios of ice, water, apple, banana, and UM... and with a lot less fruit and ice, I think I've finally gotten it right, and have even started craving it *just a little bit*. :)

I'll re-post progress in a week.
Consistently,
NRS.

17 comments:

Spencer said...

You go Miss HardStyle! Lemme know how that whole 6:30am thing works for ya (I seem to be able to do it only once a week on Sundays).

24kg Pistol? Really? I wanna see that f'shizzle.

Howie B said...

Did you wake up early today?

Remember basics, basics, basics!

Taikei Matsushita said...

Is your dietary transition involved in your slight decline?
Must be ups and downs like stock market.

Starting to use word "bloody", doc's influence?

Unknown said...

As I think Boris-san said so eloquently, "Complacency kills." And the frightening thing about it is when it creeps in unnoticed and then takes hold of your thoughts, your feelings, your way of life.

This is my motto for how I look at my life and my skills... "What you think is good enough ISN'T." Now that doesn't mean that I mope around feeling sorry for myself or run around panicking like a rat with its tail ablaze. Rather, it's a constant reminder (a fire under my arse) for me to keep driving harder to improve.

Do it Hard Style!

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Sometimes I have had to step back to step forward. Not talking KBs necessarily but life in general. Still it always seems to piss me off even though intellectually I know it mean a huge breakthrough is coming.

Nikki Shlosser said...

Yes, Spence & Howie, I did it(!), I got up early, and did a VO2 Max workout... not an awesome one (16kg 40 sets of 6) but I still did it. That's the first time in about 4 years that I've ACTUALLY gotten up to do a workout before work. And I liked it!

Taikei, no, it's a laziness and complacency transition that was involved in the slight decline. Period. And yeah, I think you're probably right re: "bloody." ;)

Sifu, thanks for the comment and your guidance. I still have a looong way to go.... I promise to make a concerted effort.

Sandy, I do wish that were the case in this instance... I have experienced what you mention in the past. That concept of cycling, of stepping back after a PR, and working your way back up... it'll be good to be back there again. :)

Jennifer said...

Nikki,
Congrats for getting up early today. My nocturnal schedule makes getting up early to workout in the middle of the day easier for me, I think. When I had a "normal" schedule 4am SUCKED! Congrats, too, for the opportunity you had with Pavel and for taking a major lesson away from it. Another great pic, BTW! I'm loving this guys style! Do you have an e-mail for him that you don't think he would mind my having?

fawn said...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN... give yourself a break! When you figure out how to be good at everything all the time, let me know! Me and millions of other athletes would love to know the secret of being 100%, 100% of the time. LOL!

Aaron Friday said...

That's right. You should hit PRs and then be ashamed because you can't exceed them the next day and for all of eternity, no matter how good you are to begin with.

LOL! Complacency is not your weakness. Shame? Give me a break. Even young lifters like you need rest and suffer from periods of missing expectations. So rest and get stronger.

Adam said...

I second Fawns advice

Obviously over training! Take it from the dumb ass who tries to bend up 20 horse shoes a week, over training can "sneak up on ya" (NOT)

You need a Nap, and a week off. Lock your KBs up in a closet and tell your husband to hide the key from you. Take 7 days to see how 99% of the country lives, fat lazy and happy LOL.

You know you will come back stronger than ever, so take the time...

Renee Yorkievitz, RKC said...

You are a unbelievably strong woman. So many times you leave me in awe from what you have accomplished. You are a true inspiration to myself and other women. Remember how fortunate you are to even be able to lift KB's. I just had a wrist injury from falling and that is really going to impact my training plans (I can't even hold a Kb on my left). Stay strong!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Jen, thank you! It really was a pretty big deal to actually get up early and train. ;)
Re: the photographer, I doubt he'd mind at all. Send me an e-mail (trainhardstyle@yahoo.com) and I'll give you his contact info. Believe it or not, the other night he was saying he was unsatisfied with how they turned out... good grief!

Nikki Shlosser said...

Ha, Fawn, you rock. :)
STILL, though, I think it got a lot worse than just "not being 100%".... even so, I really appreciate that. :)

Aaron, I said most of it in the e-mail. You're right, of course - IF the problem was that I needed rest. I promise it's the opposite, I've been resting TOO much.

Adam, it's true, I swear!! You guys just need to believe me sometimes. ;)

Nikki Shlosser said...

Renee, wow - that is so kind of you to say!!
Thanks very much for the reminder - I am lucky to be able train without injury! So... I better not take that for granted.
Sorry to hear about your wrist - I hope you heal fast!

Laura Nepodal said...

Nikki,

I just wanted to say that I've been quietly admiring your strength, and am extremely inspired by what you do. I'm even more impressed by the fact that you recognized the areas you need to work on, and instead of continuing to skirt around them as so many people often do, you're owning it! That's fantastic!

I like to think of myself as a strong woman, and it's humbling and very motivating for me to see your accomplishments. Keep it up, lady! =)

Nikki Shlosser said...

Wow, Laura, thank you. I really appreciate your taking a moment to leave such a nice comment. It's humbling, and inspiring!

BTW, I checked out your profile. The Alchemist is the next novel on my reading list. :)

Laura Nepodal said...

Awesome choice! It's definitely one of those books that makes you stop and think, and leaves you with the sense that everything's attainable. Empowering stuff! =)