January 23, 2009

Regarding Snatches...

Or more precisely, an example of how swing work carries over to snatches.

I have been stressing to my students recently the importance of having a quick, explosive hip-drive. Waiting longer to hinge, and, trying to minimize the time spent between hinge and snap. (Not to be confused with bend and snap, folks). ;)


During a short snatch practice last night, I realized my hip drive was much slower in snatches than in swings, and worked to speed that up - with great results, of course! Wait longer to hinge, and make it quick! PULL hips back, rather than just letting them hinge naturally. Snap quickly, rather than having a pause at the bottom... and your snatches WILL be more powerful. Moving the same amount of weight the same distance more quickly is an increase in force. And that's a good thing. :)

7 comments:

Faizal S. Enu said...

Excellent stuff -- I like math and physics, so in my book F = ma.

Increase acceleration (i.e., quicker), increase force.

Take care, Faizal

Spencer said...

Hey Nik,

I'll definitely have to put your theory to practice on my next round of snatches!

I must say, I'm a bit confused about the Reese Witherspoon photo though....

Jennifer said...

Nice reminder, Nikki, thanks. Timely, too, as I was working on my snatches today. :)

Nikki Shlosser said...

Spence... the "bend and snap" from Legally Blonde. :)

Spencer said...

Oh, okay....You'll have to pardon my lack of Legally Blond knowledge!

Franz Snideman said...

Great post....I totally agree. I have noticed that in myself when I swings and snatch. My swing is much better than my snatch in terms of hip snappiness!

Is snappiness a word?

:)

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

When my hips are fast my snatches are much better. Get piece Nikki:)